Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 05/11] rebase: drop support for `--preserve-merges`

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:53:42 +0200

On Tue, Sep 07 2021, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:

> diff --git a/builtin/rebase.c b/builtin/rebase.c
> index 33e09619005..5f8d9f89ba4 100644
> --- a/builtin/rebase.c
> +++ b/builtin/rebase.c
> @@ -48,8 +48,7 @@ static GIT_PATH_FUNC(merge_dir, "rebase-merge")
>  enum rebase_type {
>  	REBASE_UNSPECIFIED = -1,
>  	REBASE_APPLY,
> -	REBASE_MERGE,
> -	REBASE_PRESERVE_MERGES
> +	REBASE_MERGE
>  };

This definitely doesn't require a re-roll, but just in case you didn't
know, from CodingGuidelines:

   . since early 2012 with e1327023ea, we have been using an enum
     definition whose last element is followed by a comma.  This, like
     an array initializer that ends with a trailing comma, can be used
     to reduce the patch noise when adding a new identifier at the end.

(That was added in cc0c42975a2 (CodingGuidelines: spell out post-C89
rules, 2019-07-16))

I.e. in case you're slavisly following this particular bit of C syntax
for C89 compatibility it's not needed anymore, which helps to make diffs
smaller, and writing code generation loops less annoying.