Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 11/11] test-lib: split up and deprecate test_create_repo()

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:45:18 +0200

On Thu, May 13 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> --- a/t/test-lib-functions.sh
>> +++ b/t/test-lib-functions.sh
>> @@ -1243,21 +1243,10 @@ test_atexit () {
>>  		} && (exit \"\$eval_ret\"); eval_ret=\$?; $test_atexit_cleanup"
>>  }
>>  
>> -# Most tests can use the created repository, but some may need to create more.
>> +# Deprecated wrapper for "git init", use "git init" directly instead
>>  # Usage: test_create_repo <directory>
>>  test_create_repo () {
>
> If this is deprecated why not add a warning?
>
>   echo "warning: test_create_repo is deprecated in favor of git init" >&2

Because like test_i18ncmp, test_i18ngrep or whatever this is in the
state of "don't use this for new code", but annoying everyone who runs
the test suite with loads of this output under -v would be too
distracting.

The attention of the developer community is much better spent on one
person doing a s/test_create_repo/git init/ patch than having everyone
see this warning until somebody does that.