Subject: Re: [PATCH] branch: colorize branches checked out in a linked working tree the same way as the current branch is colorized

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 22:02:51 +0200

On Thu, Sep 27 2018, Rafael Ascensão wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 02:17:08PM -0400, Jeff King wrote:
>> Do we want to limit this to git-branch, though? Ideally any output you
>> get from git-branch could be replicated with for-each-ref (or with
>> a custom "branch --format").
>>
>> I.e., could we have a format in ref-filter that matches HEAD, but
>> returns a distinct symbol for a worktree HEAD? That would allow a few
>> things:
>
> I was going to suggest using dim green and green for elsewhere and here
> respectively, in a similar way how range-diff uses it to show different
> versions of the same diff.

It would be really useful to (just via E-Mail to start) itemize the
colors we use in various places and what they mean.

E.g. I thought green here made sense because in "diff" we show the
old/new as red/green, so the branch you're on is "new" in the same
sense, i.e. it's what your current state is.

But maybe there's cases where that doesn't "rhyme" as it were.