Subject: Re: Feature request: hooks directory

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 16:45:32 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30 2018, Wesley Schwengle wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to ask if it is worth my time looking into the following
> solution to a problem we have at work.
>
> Problem:
> We want to have some git-hooks and we want to provide them to the
> user. In a most recent example we have a post-checkout hook that deals
> with some Docker things. However, if we update that post-checkout hook
> my local overrides in that post-checkout hook are going to be
> overwritten.
>
> Solution:
> We discussed this at work and we thought about making a .d directory
> for the hooks, eg.  $GIT_DIR/hooks/post-commit.d, where a user can put
> the post-commit hooks in. This allows us to provide post commit hooks
> and allows the user to add additional hooks him/herself. We could
> implement this in our own code base. But we were wondering if this
> approach could be shared with the git community and if this behavior
> is wanted in git itself.

There is interest in this. This E-Mail of mine gives a good summary of
prior discussions about this:
https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

I.e. it's something I've personally been interested in doing in the
past, there's various bolt-on solutions to do it (basically local hook
runners) used by various projects.