Subject: Re: [Newbie] How to *actually* get rid of remote tracking branch?

From: Sergei Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 20:31:20 +0300

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2007, Sergei Organov wrote:
>
>> Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > The wildcard refspec is not documented adequately, so I'm not sure if 
>> > adding
>> >
>> >         fetch = !refs/heads/pu
>> >
>> > would help, or do you have to replace wildcard refspec by explicit 
>> > list of branches you want to fetch.
>> 
>> Isn't "git branch -d -r" supposed to do whatever magic is required to
>> get rid of the remote branch?
>
> But it did!  You explicitely fetched it _again_!

Sorry, but *I* didn't *explicitly* fetch it _again_!

1. I cloned git.git repo making no custom steps.

2. I decided I don't need to track some of branches.

3. I tried to find in documentation a way to remove remote tracking
   branch. I found that 'git branch -d -r' should do it.

4. I used 'git branch -d -r origin/pu' to remove one of remote branches,
   -- it succeeded.

5. Some time later I ran 'git fetch', and it's *git fetch* that
   *implicitly* fetched it _again_! When I say *implicitly* I mean that
   I did nothing to tell 'fetch' to re-create the remote branch.

Please try to look at it from the *user* POV. A poor user that has no
idea how all this is implemented internally and tries to use git
documentation to do things.

-- 
Sergei.