Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 1/3] diff-merges: improve --diff-merges documentation

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 01:13:21 +0300

Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 5:51 PM Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> * Put descriptions of convenience shortcuts first, so they are the
>>   first things reader observes rather than lengthy detailed stuff.
>>
>> * Get rid of very long line containing all the --diff-merges formats
>>   by replacing them with <format>, and putting each supported format
>>   on its own line.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>> diff --git a/Documentation/diff-options.txt b/Documentation/diff-options.txt
>> @@ -43,66 +43,74 @@ endif::git-diff[]
>> +-m::
>> +       Show diffs for merge commits in the default format. This is
>> +       similar to '--diff-merges=on' (which see) except `-m` will
>> +       produce no output unless `-p` is given as well.
>
> I'm having difficulty grasping the parenthetical "(which see)" comment.

I believe it's translated full form of q.v., see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_abbreviations

"q.v.
 quod vide
 "which see"

Imperative, used after a term or phrase that should be looked up
elsewhere in the current document or book."

HTH,
-- Sergey Organov