Subject: Re: [PATCH] CodingGuidelines: remove suggestion to write commands in Perl/SH

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:36:00 +0200

On Sat, Apr 17 2021, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> On 17/04/21 15.43, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> Since then the consensus changed to having no new such commands unless
>> necessary, and existing ones have been actively migrated to C.
>
> What I implied that when we need to implement new commands, it must
> be directly written in C (steeper learning curve and more tedious
> than implemented in shell script), so I'm against this proposal.

I updated the v2 of this to note that I'm not really proposing anything
new, but just bringing the document in line with reality. For a long
time now we've rejected any new non-C things being imported into the
tree, unless those that fall under the "such as an importer to convert
random-scm-X" language that's still retained in the CodingGuidelines.

I think that even if you or someone else wanted to write a new thing in
Perl or SH we'd want a new way of doing that now anyway,
e.g. git-send-email.perl should really be a helper for a C program
rather than a stand-alone thing.

I.e. even if the main logic is still in the *.perl that code would
really benefit from first doing the command-line parsing etc. in C, so
that it would behave the same as everything else in that regard, ditto
for its config parsing.