Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 28/33] diff-merges: add '--diff-merges=1' as synonym for 'first-parent'

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 17:45:49 +0300

Elijah Newren <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 10:50 AM Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> As we now have --diff-merges={m|c|cc}, add --diff-merges=1 as synonym
>> for --diff-merges=first-parent, to have shorter mnemonics for it as
>> well.
>
> In all the other cases, --diff-merges=<short> is equivalent to
> -<short>.  Here, --diff-merges=1 and -1 do _very_ different things.
> Is there any concern that might cause confusion?  (My gut reaction is
> this is probably fine and people won't try to make such a connection,
> but it made me worry just enough that I thought I'd flag it for you
> and other reviewers to at least mull over and maybe comment on.)

I wasn't sure about this myself, and that was one reason to make this
separate commit.

I think this one also came from the idea that one might want to have,
say, --diff-merges=2 in the future and get diff with respect to the
second parent.

Thanks,
-- Sergey