Subject: Re: [PATCH 30/31] Git.pm: make hash size independent

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:00:33 +0100

On Mon, Feb 18 2019, brian m. carlson wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 11:59:27AM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> The gitweb code doesn't load Git.pm now, but does anyone know a reason
>> for why we'd avoid any perl/* dependency in the gitweb code? If not the
>> regex here & in gitweb could be factored into e.g. a tiny Git::OID
>> library which would either just expose a $GIT::OID_REGEX, or something
>> like the sort of interface (might not be worth it) that I suggested in
>> my feedback to 31/31.
>
> I think one potential issue here is that some distributors bundle the
> Perl modules with git send-email and not gitweb, and they're packaged
> independently. I'm not opposed to seeing a patch to do that, but it
> probably belongs in its own series.

In packaging terms that one's easy to juggle, FWIW I'm just aware of
e.g. RedHat packaging perl-Git as its own thing depended on by git-svn,
git-email & friends, not anyone who packages it with git-send-email
specifically.

But according to gitweb/README it's also meant to be used as a
stand-alone script. So:

 * You can wget it from the git.git repo & run it
 * You can run it with any (reasonable) version of git
 * If you're missing perl modules, those are all on CPAN (just CGI.pm
   should be missing these days)

Making it depend on any module we ship would break all those things. I
don't know if anyone cares, but avoiding this very minor copy/pasting
seems like a bad reason to wake that particular dragon.