Subject: Re: Git Evolve

From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2018 18:25:52 -0400

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 02 2018, Taylor Blau wrote:

[...]

>> Specifically, I've wanted the 'hg absorb' command. My understanding of
>> the commands functionality is that it builds a sort of flamegraph-esque
>> view of the blame, and then cascades downwards parts of a change. I am
>> sure that I'm not doing the command justice, so I'll defer to [1] where
>> it is explained in more detail.
>>
>> The benefit of this command is that it gives you a way to--without
>> ambiguity--absorb changes into earlier commits, and in fact, the
>> earliest commit that they make sense to belong to.
>>
>> This would simplify my workflow greatly when re-rolling patches, as I
>> often want to rewrite a part of an earlier commit. This is certainly
>> possible by a number of different `git rebase` invocations (e.g., (1)
>> create fixup commits, and then re-order them, or (2) mark points in your
>> history as 'edit', and rewrite them in a detached state, and I'm sure
>> many more).
>>
>> I'm curious if you or anyone else has thought about how this might work
>> in Git.
>
> I've wanted a "git absorb" for a while, but have done no actual work on
> it, I just found out about it.

It may be worth looking into git-autofixup [0] (author cc'd).  I learned
about it when Magit used it in its magit-commit-absorb command, but I
haven't used it yet myself.

[0] https://github.com/torbiak/git-autofixup

-- 
Kyle