Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/3] Makefile: untangle DEVELOPER and -Werror

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 14:36:12 +0200

On Sat, Apr 07 2018, Duy Nguyen wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 05:17:00PM +0200, Duy Nguyen wrote:
>>
>>> It's not that complex. With the EAGER_DEVELOPER patch removed, we can
>>> have something like this where eager devs just need to put
>>>
>>>     DEVOPTS = gentle no-suppression
>>>
>>> and you put
>>>
>>>     DEVOPTS = gentle
>>>
>>> (bad naming, I didn't spend time thinking about names)
>>
>> It seems to me like we're losing the point of DEVELOPER here. I thought
>> the idea was to have a turn-key flag you could set to get extra linting
>> on your commits. But now we're tweaking all kinds of individual options.
>> At some point are we better off just letting you put "-Wno-foo" in your
>> CFLAGS yourself?
>
> It's because what AEvar wanted is no longer a dev thing :)

It's still a dev thing, but just for a slightly different use-case. I
hack my patches up with DEVELOPER=1, and then eventually deploy a
patched git version with those (and others) on top of the latest release
tag.

At that point I want the same compiler assertions, but might be building
on much older compilers, so I just want the warning output without
-Werror.

Anyway, I see you've pushed a new version with DEVOPTS. I'll submit mine
on top of that once your new version lands (unless you want to try to
integrate it yourself).