Subject: Re: Recording the current branch on each commit?

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:00:15 +0200

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Contributors don't have any responsibility to champion their patches.
> It is pro bono work.

No, that's just the appearance that should be upheld in the higher
society.  It's ok to get paid for work on Git as long as you don't
mention it in public.  It's also ok to get paid for _promises_ of work
if you can make people believe you.  Open Source is not much different
from how politics and society in general work in the U.S.A.  To get the
real wads of money, you first need to get the means not to have to talk
about money (it's ok if you do it by means totally opposed to "the
political cause" as long as you don't talk about it), then you have to
prefinance people's trust in you not being there for the money, and then
you are in a position to get paid for your work.

Anyway, I digress.  Even without all that not so "pro bono" background
to "pro bono work", there is still a difference between "pro bono" work
ending up in the wastebin and "pro bono" work ending up in a product.

Even while the ones getting the benefits from your work will not feel an
obligation to make it worth your while, there is a difference in
satisfaction between getting your work trashed and getting it used.

The satisfaction by exploding in self-righteousness tends to be a poor
substitute and is comparatively short-lived.

Yes, it may mean that you have to carry your child the last yards rather
than shout it across the finishing line.  Even though it should have
legs perfectly suited to get it across the track on its own.

Only that way you get to pat it on its head.

-- 
David Kastrup