Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 11/11] ci: run expensive tests on push builds to integration branches

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 May 2026 18:18:34 +0900

Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I thought we updated the codebase to avoid stripping away constness
>> with strchr() and friends, but the error seems to be more like one
>> hand in the system passing -Wc11-extensions to stick to older version
>> of C and the other hand in the system that uses _Generic to implement
>> the const/non-const variants of strchr() in the system header not
>> knowing that the other tells C11 const-preserving strchr() should not
>> be used?
>
> This was diagnosed (with a proposed fix) by Patrick over in
> https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/.

Indeed.

> tl;dr It's not about `const`-ness at all, but about glibc using a C11
> construct which clang's strict c99 checker now refuses, thanks to the
> upgrade to Ubuntu 26.04 in the `ubuntu:rolling` runners.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant by one hand knowing that it was
told not to use c11 extensions while the other hand ignoring and
always using c11 extensions in the header.  I recall that in the
past gnu library headers were a bit more careful to make the life
more pleasant when we use (or decline to use) various features by
using conditional compilation, but apparently not this case.