Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/5] t/perf: use configured PERL_PATH

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2025 13:43:44 +0200

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Our benchmarks use a couple of Perl scripts to compute results. These
> Perl scripts get executed directly, and as the shebang is hardcoded to
> "/usr/bin/perl" this will fail on any system where the Perl interpreter
> is located in a different path.
>
> Our build infrastructure already lets users configure the location of
> Perl, which ultimately gets written into the GIT-BUILD-OPTIONS file.
> This file is being sourced by "test-lib.sh", and consequently we already
> have the "PERL_PATH" variable available that contains its configured
> location.
>
> Use "PERL_PATH" to execute Perl scripts, which makes them work on more
> esoteric systems like NixOS.

I see in `t/perf/README` there's a mention of running `./aggregate.perl`
directly? Shall we inform the user to run that through their Perl as
well?

-    $ ./aggregate.perl . /path/to/other/git ./p0001-rev-list.sh
+    $ perl ./aggregate.perl . /path/to/other/git ./p0001-rev-list.sh

Or do we expect users to know what they are doing when they don't have
Perl installed at /usr/bin/perl?

--
Toon