Subject: Re: diff-index --cc no longer permitted, gitk is now broken (slightly)

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:50:02 +0300

Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Sergey Organov <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Here is a patch that fixes diff-index to accept --cc again:
>>
>> Sorry for the delay; I did not notice there was a patch buried in a
>> discussion thread.
>>
>> We might later need to do this suppression in more codepaths if we
>> find more regressions, but let's have one fix at a time.
>
> I'm pretty positive there should be nothing left. This commit was
> diff-index specific, and doesn't affect anything else. Nowhere in entire
> series the semantics of --cc itself has been changed, it has been only
> disabled as particular option in diff-index command-line parsing.
> Overall, this is pretty local change.

I'm afraid this issue is left up in the air after application of the
fix-up patch, as usage of --cc in the diff-index is still undocumented.
I.e., the fix-up just restores the historical status quo that has a
problem by itself.

As current documentation of --cc elsewhere does not seem to be even
suitable for diff-index, I don't feel like providing corresponding patch
for the documentation, even less so as I still have no idea if current
behavior is intended or accidental, and if it's the latter, do we need
to keep or somehow fix it? Anybody?

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov