Subject: Re: [PATCH] test: fix for COLUMNS and bash 5

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 14:59:10 +0200

On Fri, Aug 06 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> @@ -419,6 +419,12 @@ COLUMNS=80
>>
>> COLUMNS is set just before the start of the hunk context ...
>>
>>>  export LANG LC_ALL PAGER TZ COLUMNS
>>>  EDITOR=:
>>
>> ... so these two "commands" above are executed while COLUMNS is
>> already set but checkwinsize is not yet disabled.  The reason I put
>> quotes around that commands is that while exporting and setting
>> variables are indeed commands as defined in the POSIX Shell Command
>> Language specs, Bash with checkwinsize enabled only "checks the window
>> size after each extern (non-builtin) command" (quoting 'man bash').
>>
>> So even though it is safe to execute these variable setting and
>> exporting commands after setting COLUMNS but disabling checkwinsize, I
>> think it would be prudent to disable checkwinsize before initializing
>> COLUMNS.  (And perhaps adding "non-builtin" to the comment below.)
>
> OK.  I tend to agree that a less invasive solution like this is
> preferred over adding new code to only help tests in the everyday
> binary, especially this close to the final.  Taking the above, I'd
> queue this and hopefully I can merge it by -rc2 at the latest.

Now that we're post-release are you interested in a re-roll of
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
+ removal of the bash-specific checkwinsize added here, or would you
like to just keep Felipe's version which you integrated as 390b44eb2bc
(test: fix for COLUMNS and bash 5, 2021-08-05).

Either works for me, just poking to see whether I should drop this from
my local TODO list or not...