Subject: Re: [PATCH] gc: introduce an --auto-exit-code option for undoing 3029970275

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 23:05:47 +0200

On Wed, Oct 10 2018, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>
>> Add an --auto-exit-code variable and a corresponding 'gc.autoExitCode'
>> configuration option to optionally bring back the 'git gc --auto' exit
>> code behavior as it existed between 2.6.3..2.19.0 (inclusive).
>
> Hm.  Can you tell me more about the use case where this would be
> helpful to you?  That would help us come up with a better name for it.

>From the E-Mail linked from the commit message[1] (I opted not to put
this in, because it was getting a bit long:

    Right. I know. What I mean is now I can (and do) use it to run 'git gc
    --auto' across our server fleet and see whether I have any of #3, or
    whether it's all #1 or #2. If there's nothing to do in #1 that's fine,
    and it just so happens that I'll run gc due to #2 that's also fine, but
    I'd like to see if gc really is stuck.

    This of course relies on them having other users / scripts doing normal
    git commands which would trigger previous 'git gc --auto' runs.

I.e. with your change that command:

    git gc --auto

Would change to something like:

    git gc --auto && ! test -e .git/gc.log

Which, as noted is a bit of a nasty breaker of the encapsulation, so
now:

    git gc --auto --auto-exit-code

Or just a variant of that which will have dropped the config in-place in
/etc/gitconfig, and then as before:

    git gc --auto

1. https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/