Subject: Re: Compile Error v2.13.2 on Solaris SPARC

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 20:55:13 +0200

On Tue, Jun 27 2017, Liam R. Howlett jotted:

> This compressed logic is causing a lot of issues.  Could we just rewrite
> it as a whole lot of #if/#else, statements to avoid running across the
> issue where the precompiler does not short-circuit the checks?  Would
> this cause any other issues?

Again, this is hopefully addressed by my
[email-masked] ([PATCH 1/3] sha1dc: update from
my PR #36).

> A third option is to compile a small test and just -DSHA1DC_BIGENDIAN in
> the Makefile.

This would be ideal, but so far the only facility we have for that is
the configure script, which there have been objections to making a hard
dep in the past, thus we have various bits done via macros that would be
better done via built-time compiling & testing a C program.

My memory of such discussions is hazy though, did people fundimentally
object to the idea, or was it just an objection to autoconf in
particular, I don't know.

If it was just autoconf maybe someone more clever at Makefile magic than
me could come up with a way to compile a test program that would then
define a flag that would be passed to the rest of the programs, and set
up dependencies in such a way that it was done before anything else, I
don't know if that's easy/possible with make.