Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-p4.py: Make submit working on bare repository

From: Amadeusz Żołnowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 20:46:44 +0000

Luke Diamand <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 23 February 2016 at 20:56, Amadeusz Żołnowski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> To simplify things, why not just update ref during submit from bare
>> repository? As you have pointed out, if user invokes submit in this
>> context he/she actually wants to submit from bare repo and probably
>> knows what he/she is doing - especially if he/she reads man page. (-:
>
> Will it do something sensible if anything goes wrong?
>
> I'm thinking about what happens if you submit and one of the commits
> fails to go to P4 due to a merge conflict.

Handling failures in this case is a bit tricky, indeed.

> But I guess just doing an update-ref could be an OK thing to do.
> Without actually trying it out for real though I can't be sure. It
> might make sense to get some practical experience of how this works
> out.

True. For now I have these cases covered by wrapper scripts. The minimum
I need from git-p4 is just not to fail on git submit from bare
repository which is covered by patch I have submitted. If I get my
solution enough testing, I'd think of transforming it into patch for
git-p4.py as well.

-- 
Amadeusz Żołnowski