Subject: Re: Merge without marking conflicts in working tree

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 00:20:29 +0100

Aaron Schrab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is there a way to do a merge but only record conflicts in the index, not
> update the working versions of files with conflict markers?
>
> Like many people, I use git to manage configuration files for my shell,
> editor, git itself, and a number of other things.  The vast majority of
> times that I update things no conflicts are occur and everything just
> works, so I'd like to avoid extra work in this case.  But occasionally a
> conflict will occur, and if it's in a file that will be read while trying
> to resolve the conflict this can make things more difficult.

You could perform the merge in a separate working directory.  The only
extra step required is a checkout to deploy the new revision, which
could be triggered automatically by a hook.

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."