Subject: Re: git-subtree Ready #2

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:07:44 +0100

[email-masked] (David A. Greene) writes:

>> -GIT_BUILD_DIR="$TEST_DIRECTORY"/..
>> +
>> +if test -z "$GIT_BUILD_DIR"
>> +then
>> +    echo Here
>> +	# We allow tests to override this, in case they want to run tests
>> +	# outside of t/, e.g. for running tests on the test library
>> +	# itself.
>> +        GIT_BUILD_DIR="$TEST_DIRECTORY"/..
>> +fi
>
> I'll put a patch together with a more extensive explanation.  Basically,
> tests run outside of the top-level t/ directory don't work because there
> are all sort of assumptions in test-lib.sh about where they live.  There
> are comments in test-lib.sh indicating that it should support tests in
> other directories but I could not make it work out of the box.

Note that this will conflict with tr/perftest, which is already in next.
It had a similar override, but then made do with the existing
GIT_TEST_INSTALLED facility.  I think you do need the above here,
because you are not sourcing test-lib from the directory where the test
lives.  It may then be cleaner to again use GIT_BUILD_DIR in
t/perf/perf-lib.sh since it does not require knowledge (outside of
test-lib) that $GIT_BUILD_DIR/bin-wrappers/ holds the binaries.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch