Subject: Re: git-subtree Ready #2

From: [email-masked] (David A. Greene)
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:31:30 -0600

Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:30:16PM -0600, David A. Greene wrote:
>
>> This is also available at:
>> 
>> git clone git://sources.obbligato.org/git/git.git
>
> Hmm. So it seems like a pretty straightforward subtree merge of
> git-subtree. 

Yep.

> I can't say I'm super excited about having copied bits like
> contrib/subtree/t/Makefile that are basically replicas of git's
> t/Makefile.  

I know, I didn't like it either but could not think of a better way.

> But there's not that much of it, the cruft lives in contrib, and
> there's really not a good solution short of actually making
> git-subtree a first-class git command.

That's the conclusion I came to.  Moving it to a first-class command
should be pretty simple when the time comes.

> But more important than the physical layout is the maintenance plan
> going forward.  Is Avery going to keep maintaining git-subtree, and we
> will just occasionally pull? Are you maintaining it? Where will patches
> go? To a github repo? To git@vger?

I am still waiting to hear from Avery on that.  I will ping him again.
My intention is to certainly participate in maintenance.  I use
git-subtree daily so it's in my interest to keep it working.

I plan to send patcher to git@vger.  I don't think a pull would be
practical given the removal of redundant files and other things.

                           -Dave