Subject: Re: git-subtree

From: [email-masked] (David A. Greene)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:33:20 -0600

Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi again,
>
> [+CC: Junio Hamano, our maintainer]
>
> David A. Greene wrote:
>> I've read that document.  The issue is that I didn't develop the code,
>> Avery did.
>
> Not an issue as long as you have Avery's signoff.

As in a signed-off-by log entry on the commit?  I did a commit -s to add
my own signed-off-by tag and added a "From:" line in accordance with the
SubmittingPatches document:

  "If you are forwarding a patch from somebody else, optionally, at the
   beginning of the e-mail message just before the commit message starts,
   you can put a "From: " line to name that person."

I have not used signoffs before in my day-to-day git flow.  How do I go
about getting one from Avery and incorporating it into the history in an
autheticated way?  I'm assuming you don't want me to forge his sign-off.
:)

>> It's a lot of time to learn a
>> completely new codebase.  I was hoping to submit something soon and then
>> learn the codebase gradually during maintenance/further development.
>
> We certainly don't want badly reviewed code that nobody understands
> floating around in the codebase- 

Certainly, I'm not trying to avoid review, just trying to figure out the
most efficient mechanics.

> so, I'd suggest sending out whatever you think is appropriate for the
> first round of reviews, and see how things shape up from there.

Fair enough.  I think I will take Jeff's suggested route and see where
that goes.

>> How have completely new tools be introduced into the git mainline in the
>> past?
>
> Yes.  For an example of something I was involved with but didn't
> author, see vcs-svn/.

Ok, I'll look into that.  Thanks for the pointer.

                             -Dave