Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Allow fetch-pack to decide keeping the fetched pack without exploding

From: David Kågedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:28:13 +0100

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> 
>> P.S.: These patches make me dream of yet another diff format enhancement: 
>> code moves!
>
> It's basically impossible.
>
> Why? You need the context. 

Yes, I think that a diff format for code moves wouldn't be useful.
What could potentially be useful is a graphical diff browser that can
e.g.  show two versions side-by-side and show code moves in that.  I
have a vague memory that the ClearCase merge tool did that.

But as long as the code moves are within a single file, that merge
tool could derive that move from an ordinary diff.

-- 
David Kågedal