Subject: Re: ref: with git update-ref?

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2024 08:25:24 +0200

On Okt 11 2024, Bence Ferdinandy wrote:

> the documentation for `git update-ref` has this sentence:
>
>> It also allows a "ref" file to be a symbolic pointer to another
>> ref file by starting with the four-byte header sequence of
>> "ref:".

This is about the format of the reference to be updated, not the
<new-oid> argument.

See gitglossary(1):

       symref
           Symbolic reference: instead of containing the SHA-1 id itself, it
           is of the format ref: refs/some/thing and when referenced, it
           recursively dereferences to this reference.  HEAD is a prime
           example of a symref. Symbolic references are manipulated with the
           git-symbolic-ref(1) command.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1
"And now for something completely different."