Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] extra: new concept of extra components

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:18:30 +0200

On Sun, Jun 13 2021, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> This patch series introduces the concept of extra components. These are
> components which are not yet part of the core but are good enough for
> distributions to ship, and in fact, they already do.

I like this direction.

> The measuring stick I'm using to gauge if a component in contrib belongs
> in extra is simple: are we already running tests for them with
> 'make test'?

I have a CI failure in one series of mine that seems to be a lack of
updating to CMake in contrib/buildsystems, perhaps we should be adding
that to extra/ too, i.e. extending this to the "make test" run by CI?

Not something that should hinder or necessarily be included in this
series, just a note about a related component.

> And we might move some components from the core which aren't realy part
> of the core to extra, like gitk, git-gui, git-p4, and git-svn.

I'd also like to see us run the tests for the likes of mw-to-git,
diff-highlight and subtree by default, at least under CI or some
"extended tests" mode, even though we may not install them by default.