Subject: Re: [PATCH 09/15] hash: set and copy algo field in struct object_id

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:13:02 +0200

On Mon, Apr 12 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> But we can use some subset of C99 features, and happily designated
>> initializers is one of those, see cbc0f81d96f (strbuf: use designated
>> initializers in STRBUF_INIT, 2017-07-10). It's been used all over the
>> place since then.
>
> Good advice to cite a commit that on purpose used a feature and
> documented that it is allowed.
>
> Also see Documentation/CodingGuidelines ;-)  The document should
> give the authoritative blessing for features allowed to be used (add
> any missing with a proposed patch).

Our E-Mails probably crossed, my initial motivation for just-submitted
http://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]
was going to CodingGuidelines, and vaguely remembering that there was
some other C99 thing that wasn't listed there, and then (re-)discovering
the recent variadic macro commit from Jeff King.

As noted there maybe 2/2 of that is too aggressive, but in that case it
would make sense to have a V2 of that which just carved off the
CodingGuidelines change.