Subject: Re: Reproducible, corrupt packfile after fresh git-svn checkout message (gitml: message 5 of 20) (gitml: message 6 of 20)

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:28:27 +0200

Ben Tebulin <[email-masked]> writes:

> Am 08.08.2013 16:20, schrieb Thomas Rast - [email-masked]:
>> Can you try to reproduce with a version older than v1.8.3?
>> E.g. v1.8.2.3.
>> I'm asking because the above points at packed_object_info(), which I
>> recently rewrote to be nonrecursive.
>
> It seems to run 'much better' 
>   v1.8.2.3 : 3/10 runs do fail
>   fb56570  : 9/10 runs do fail

The good news is that this shifts the blame away from my commit ;-) as
the problem clearly existed even before that.

The bad news, of course, is that this is another hunch that turned out
to be wrong.  I'm running out of ideas.

> They always fail on a big blob (39MB) as I wrote in my first e-mail:
>
> ben@n179 /tmp/project.git $ ~/projects/git.git/git-show 49cdd0b21a351f3366008615d2cf8d03ca943978 | wc -c
> error: sha1 mismatch 49cdd0b21a351f3366008615d2cf8d03ca943978
> fatal: bad object 49cdd0b21a351f3366008615d2cf8d03ca943978
> 0
> ben@n179 /tmp/project.git $ ~/projects/git.git/git-show 49cdd0b21a351f3366008615d2cf8d03ca943978 | wc -c
> 39517156

Hrmm.  I wonder about the significance of those 39MB.  What is your
core.packedGitWindowSize?  (Judging from the pastes you seem to be on
64bit, so the default would be 1GB.)

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch