Subject: Re: rebase -p loses amended changes

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 00:49:55 +0200

J Robert Ray <[email-masked]> writes:

> If a merge is amended to add changes to a file unaffected by the
> merge, these changes are lost after a rebase. Attached is a script to
> demonstrate the problem.

> 4. Merge (--no-ff) "mod-a" onto master.
>
> 5. Amend the merge with a modification to a.

> 7. Rebase -p master onto "master-copy."
>
> Notice the change to "a" from step #5 is now gone. "a" reverts to the
> pre-amended version after step #4.

That's pretty much expected. rebase -p attempts to (conflicts will
happen again) replay the merge.  I don't think anybody's come up with a
clear idea of how to apply the conflicted or evil parts of the merge
mechanically.

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch