Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: fix typos, grammar, asciidoc syntax

From: Teemu Likonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:39:10 +0200

Junio C Hamano (2008-12-20 12:08 -0800) wrote:

> Markus Heidelberg <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Junio C Hamano, 20.12.2008:
>>> Markus Heidelberg <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> > -$ git show-branch --reflog='10,1 hour ago' --list master
>>> > +$ git show-branch --reflog="10,1 hour ago" --list master

>>> Is this just a personal taste, or a correction to typography?
>>
>> When using single quotes, the manpage displayed backticks.
>
> It does not seem to do that to me:

The single quote (') in asciidoc turns into \' in the man page
typesetting language and its meaning is acute accent (´, U+00B4). In
Ascii-only environment \' is displayed as a single quote but it is still
logically an acute accent. For example, my UTF-8 terminals as well as
Postscript output (man -Tps) display \' as acute accent.

To get the logical single quote the man page source should contain \(aq
or \[aq] . Don't know how to make asciidoc do this.