Subject: Re: [PATCH] t4013: add expected failure for "log --patch --no-patch"

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 16:54:59 +0300

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sergey Organov wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> > When a command does not behave the way one thinks it should, being
>> > curious is good.  Reporting it as a potential bug is also good.  But
>> > it would help the project more if it was triaged before reporting it
>> > as a potential bug, if the reporter is capable of doing so.  Those
>> > who encounter behaviour unexpected to them are more numerous than
>> > those who can report it as a potential bug (many people are not
>> > equipped to write a good bug report), and those who can triage and
>> > diagnose a bug report are fewer.  Those who can come up with a
>> > solution is even more scarse.
>>
>> I'm afraid the solution I'd come up with won't be welcomed.
>
> My solutions are often not welcomed, and yet I still implement them.
>
> It might be a waste of time, but often I've found out that very quickly
> after attempting to come up with a solution I realize there's a lot of
> detail I was missing initially, so even if the solution is not welcomed,
> it helps me to understand the problem space and be more helpful in the
> discussion of potential solutions.
>
> So if I were you, I would still attempt to do it, just to gather some
> understanding.

I sympathize, and I did recently. However, I figure I'd rather spend my
time elsewhere, say, in the Linux kernel, where my experience is
somewhat different, and allows me to enjoy my work.

[...]

>
> I for one welcome any and all attempts to fix git's awful user
> interface, regardless of the reception of the maintainer, and the "core
> club".

For UI, the problem is that there is no core model defined, nor any
guidelines are given, so every discussion ends-up being what "makes
sense" and what doesn't for a user, everyone involved having his own
preference, that often even changes over time.

In this situation attempting to fix the UI sounds like waste of efforts,
as nobody can actually point at the state of the UI to which we are
willing to converge, so there are no objective criteria for accepting of
fixup patches.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov