Subject: Re: [PATCH] signature-format.txt: explain and illustrate multi-line headers

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:27:22 -0500

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> With so little similarity, there is no reason for us to mimick their
> "folding" rule.

Agreed.  I'd just lazily guessed it might be 822 (was also thinking of
Debian package headers), but certainly shouldn't have glossed over the
missing colon (for example) -- might be worth making sure the rules
described are covered in the technical docs, if they're not already, and
then perhaps refer to them in the section we're adjusting.

> We limit to the SP and not LWP for another reason.  Because the
> exact byte sequence in the object (including the header part of
> "commit" and "tag" objects) determines the name of the object

Ahh, right, of course.

> we would needlessly create many variants of the "same" commit, which
> is not ideal.

Indeed.

Thanks
-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2011-07-10 E6A9 DA3C C9FD 1FF8 C676 D2C4 C0F0 39E9 ED1B 597A
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4