Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] Builtin FSMonitor Part 1

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 16:33:20 +0200

On Mon, Sep 20 2021, Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget wrote:

> Here is V2 of Part 1 of my Builtin FSMonitor series.
>
> Changes since V1 include:
>
>  * Drop the Trace2 memory leak.
>  * Added a new "child_ready" event to Trace2 as an alternative to the
>    "child_exit" event for background processes.
>  * Convert the Trace2-related NEEDSWORK items in "start_bg_command()" to use
>    the new "child_ready" event.
>  * Various minor code and documentation cleanups.

I see 7/7 still has a pattern you included only to make a compiler error
better. I noted in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ that it
make the error worse, on at least clang. You didn't note which compiler
you were massaging, presumably MSVC.

I think that's a relatively small matter, but it *is* one I know about,
and there's no reply there, mention of it being unaddressed here or in
the commit message.

I haven't gone back & re-read v1 and seen if there's more unaddresed
feedback from others, instead I wanted to encourage you to provide such
a summary.

It really helps when a series is re-rolled to aid review both for
newcomers and returning reviewers. I really don't care about "getting my
way" on such a minor thing.

But it is frustrating to have the state of a re-roll be observably
indistinguishable from one's E-Mail not having been received, when
that's the case you've got to go back and re-read the thread, scour the
range-diff, and generalyl do a lot of work that the person doing the
re-roll has done, but either didn't keep notes, or didn't share them.

Personally I'm in the habit of "flagging" (starring in GMail terms)
E-Mails with outstanding unaddresed comments I get on my own topics,
then when I re-roll them I look at the thread, and "unwind the stack" as
it were by removing flags on E-Mails that I've either addressed via
updated commit messages, or added a note to a WIP cover letter.

E.g. here (just an example that includes Taylor, since he reviewed v1
here) is a case where Taylor suggested something that I didn't go for,
but i'd like to think noting it helped him catch up:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

All the best, just trying to make the reviewer & re-rolling process
better for everyone.