Subject: Git for Windows for Unix?

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:01:18 +0200

I had an IRC conversation with Johannes saying I didn't know Git For
Windows builds perfectly well for Linux, this just isn't advertised in
the ANNOUNCE E-Mails, so I hadn't tried.

Johannes doesn't build his own tarballs, but these are provided at:
https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/tags diffing
https://github.com/git/git/tags v.s. what Junio releases shows:

    $ diff -ru git-2.19.0 git-2.19.0.gh
    Only in git-2.19.0: configure
    Only in git-2.19.0/git-gui: version
    Only in git-2.19.0: version

So to use these you need to grab the GitHub tarball, create a "version"
file saying e.g. 2.19.0.windows.1 or whatever it is (derived from the
name of the tarball), and if applicable make your own configure script.

GFW is a "friendly fork", but a permanent one it seems. The diff between
it and 2.19.0 proper is ~10k lines, and e.g. this last release had
experimental stash/rebase in C that 2.19.0 didn't.

So it would be great if this were packaged up by linux distro as some
"alterate" package of git. I'm putting Jonathan in the "To" line because
I'm mainly interested in this for Debian, but maybe there's wider
interest at git-packagers...