Subject: Re: Amending merge commits?

From: Sergei Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 23:37:42 +0400

Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> writes:

> David Besen wrote:
>> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>>> This is how pull --rebase works.  It turns your single-parent commits
>>> into a sequence of patches on top of upstream and completely ignores
>>> your merge commits.
>>>
>>> There is a --rebase=preserve option that makes a halfhearted attempt
>>> to preserve your merges --- perhaps that would help?  The
>>> git-rebase(1) documentation has more details.
>>
>> Ah thanks, I'll RTFM better in the future.
>
> No, not a problem.  It's very useful to see examples of where git's
> behavior was counterintuitive and the documentation was more obscure
> than it could have been.

Should documentaion warn that "git pull --rebase=true" (and
pull.merge=true configuration) could be harmful, and that
--rebase=preserve (and pull.merge=preserve) should better be used
instead?

Is there any scenario at all where pull --rebase=true wins over
preserve?

-- 
Sergey.