Subject: Re: [PATCH] PAGER_ENV: remove 'S' from $LESS by default

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:43:57 +0200

Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:

> By default, Git used to set $LESS to -FRSX if $LESS was not set by the
> user. The FRX flags actually make sense for Git (F and X because Git
> sometimes pipes short output to less, and R because Git pipes colored
> output). The S flag (chop long lines), on the other hand, is not related
> to Git and is a matter of user preference. Git should not decide for the
> user to change LESS's default.

>> We agree here.  So, does someone who actually wants this change want to
>> propose a patch? :)
>
> Here you are.
>
>  Documentation/config.txt | 13 ++++++++-----
>  Makefile                 |  6 +++---
>  perl/Git/SVN/Log.pm      |  2 +-
>  3 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

There seem to be a few more occurences (git-sh-setup.sh and pager.c):

$ git grep FRSX
Documentation/RelNotes/1.6.5.txt: * mingw will also give FRSX as the default val
Documentation/config.txt:When the `LESS` environment variable is unset, Git sets
Documentation/config.txt:command to `LESS=FRSX less -+S`. The environment tells 
git-sh-setup.sh:        : ${LESS=-FRSX}
pager.c:                        env[i++] = "LESS=FRSX";
perl/Git/SVN/Log.pm:    $ENV{LESS} ||= 'FRSX';

Searching for LESS seems to implicate a few more possible candidates in
contrib/examples:

contrib/examples/git-log.sh:LESS=-S ${PAGER:-less}
contrib/examples/git-whatchanged.sh:LESS="$LESS -S" ${PAGER:-less}

-- 
David Kastrup