Subject: Re: CodingGuidelines Perl amendment

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:05:25 -0500

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:29:30 -0800 Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote: 

JCH> Is it ever (as opposed to "not always") possible to omit braces?

Oh yes!  Not that I recommend it, and I'm not even going to touch on
Perl Golf :)

JCH> It sounds as if we encourage the use of statement modifiers, which
JCH> certainly is not what I want to see.

Yup.  I think I captured that in the patch, but please feel free to
revise it after applying or throw it back to me.

JCH> You probably would want to mention that opening braces for
JCH> "if/else/elsif" do not sit on their own line, and closing braces for
JCH> them will be followed the next "else/elseif" on the same line
JCH> instead, but that is part of "most of the C guidelines above apply"
JCH> so it may be redundant.

OK; done.

>> - Don't abuse statement modifiers (unless $youmust).

JCH> It does not make a useful guidance to leave $youmust part
JCH> unspecified.

JCH> Incidentally, your sentence is a good example of where use of
JCH> statement modifiers is appropriate: $youmust is rarely true.

I was trying to be funny, honestly.  But OK; reworded.

Ted