Subject: Re: configuring cherry-pick to always use -x?

From: Ivan Kanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:38:01 +0100

Hi Junio,

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Adam Monsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Is there a configuration option to make cherry-pick always include the
>> source commit hash in the new commit log message?
>
> Not currently, but before we go any further, could you please justify
> in what workflow it would make sense to use -x most of the time?
>
> We used to add the "cherry-picked from" by default in the very early
> days, and stopped doing so for a reason, and also deliberately stayed
> away from adding such a configuration to actively discourage the use
> of -x without making the user thinking twice.

Could you elaborate on the reason why -x is a bad idea?

Kind regards,
-- 
Ivan Kanis, Release Manager, Vision Objects,
Tel +33 2 28 01 84 44,  Fax +33 2 40 25 89 20
http://www.visionobjects.com

We meet no Stranger, but Ourself.
    -- Emily Dickinson