Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/10] meson: wire up missing HTML documentation

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 12:51:54 +0100

Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> this patch series wires up missing HTML-based documentation with Meson.
> This includes a couple of missing manpages, the user manual as well as
> the random set of articles that we have. It also starts to generate the
> indices for API docs and howtos so that the result is a complete set of
> HTML docs, same as with our Makefile. It also fixes a couple of smaller
> issues I found while working on the series.
>
> Notably missing yet is an integration with CI as well as sanity checks
> for any kind of missing docs in Meson. I'll work on this in a separate
> patch series once the initial CI integration as well as this patch
> series here have landed.
>
> Further missing is the generation of both info pages and a user manual
> PDF. I couldn't find any users of these anywhere in downstream distros,
> so I decided to not care for now until somebody complains.
>
> The series is built on top of caacdb5dfd (The fifteenth batch,
> 2024-12-10) with ps/build at 904339edbd (Introduce support for the Meson
> build system, 2024-12-06) merged into it.

Hi Patrick,

I've been reading through the patches, and as far as I understand it
makes sense. But to be honest, I don't know how to use this. I have
almost no experience with Meson and I only know `meson setup` and `meson
compile`. But the `meson.build` from Documentation/ is marked as a
subdir() if option "docs" is given. But I don't understand how this
should be used. For `meson test` there are some instructions in the
root-level meson.build, but not for the docs. Should we add this as
well?

And a bit related to this, I saw you use `env: script_environment` in a
few places, how does this get injected from the root-level meson.build
file? Due to this, I assume it's intended to only use the root-level
meson.build directly, and not run `meson setup` in the Documentation/
folder?

-- 
Toon