Subject: Re: Deprecating git diff ..; dealing with other ranges

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 22:01:38 +0100

On Tue, Mar 12 2019, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Mär 12 2019, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> I however think it may be worth making sure that our docs do not
>> encourage "diff A..B" and teach "diff A B" when comparing two
>> endpoints.  That can be done without changing anything in the code.
>
> The nice thing about "diff A..B" is that you can c&p the output from the
> fetch run without the need to edit it.

Not to shoot down this effort, just to add another similar thing I do
regularly for ff-branches:

 1. Copy/paste A..B fetch output
 2. git log A..B
 3. ^log^diff

I.e. I just need to tell my terminal to re-run the same "log" command
with "diff" instead of "log".

Of course as covered in the linked thread it doesn't work for some
(non-ff) cases, and I'll sometimes end up cursing it and swapping around
".." for "..." with log/diff.