Subject: Re: Profiling support?

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:44:55 +0100

David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looking in the Makefile, I just find support for coverage reports using
> gcov.  Whatever is there with "profile" in it seems to be for
> profile-based compilation rather than using gprof.
[...]
> Is there a reason there are no prewired recipes or advice for using
> gprof on git?  Is there a way to get the work done, namely seeing the
> actual distribution of call times (rather than iterations) using gcov so
> that this is not necessary?

No reason I'm aware of, other than that nobody ever wrote it.

Note that I wouldn't exactly be surprised if the gcov targets had
bitrotted without anyone noticing.  I haven't heard of any heavy users.
I originally wrote them to do some basic test coverage analysis, but
that's about it.

-- 
Thomas Rast
[email-masked]