Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Move sequencer to builtin

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 19:53:32 +0200

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Jeff King <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 09:17:56PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>>> > Definitely, yes.  Even if you look at the impact on code alone and
>>> > don't care about the people, destroying a collegial work environment
>>> > is harmful enough to the code to outweigh the (admittedly often
>>> > useful) patches.
>>>
>>> A collegial work environment is overrated, and proof of that the Linux
>>> kernel, where honest and straight talk is the bread and butter of the
>>> mailing list. And the Linux kernel is the most successful software
>>> project in history by far. It's code that speaks.
>>
>> Sorry, but I don't agree, and I want to publicly state my opinion so
>> that Jonathan (and other bystanders on the list) knows that he is not
>> alone in his opinions.

FWIW, I'll add my voice here.

In addition to what has been said by Jeff and Jonathan already (and with
which I agree), I would like to point out one observation about your
style of discussion that I find particularly unproductive.

You have a tendency, when facing arguments by someone who does not agree
with you, of picking out one (usually minor) point of their statement
and attacking just *that* on grounds that are usually much harder to
argue, without regard for the bigger issue.  In effect you are
attempting to shift a significant burden of proof back to the other
party.

Case in point:

>> I have consistently found your demeanor on the list to be very
>> unfriendly and difficult to work with. It is one thing to have honest
>> and straight talk, and another thing to be obstinate, unmindful of
>> feedback (both with respect to technical details, as well as to
>> communication styles), and disrespectful of other people.
>
> Go back to my 261 commits, show me one that is "unmindful of technical details".

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch