Subject: [PATCH] Escape asciidoc's built-in em-dash replacement

From: Yasushi SHOJI <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 02:29:10 +0900

Escape asciidoc's built-in em-dash replacement

AsciiDoc replace '--' with em-dash (&#8212) by default. em-dash
looks a lot like a single long dash and it's very confusing when
we are talking about command options.

Section 21.2.8 'Replacements' of AsciiDoc's User Guide says that a
backslash in front of double dash prevent the replacement.  This
patch does just that.

Signed-off-by: Yasushi SHOJI <[email-masked]>

---

 Documentation/cvs-migration.txt |    2 +-
 Documentation/diffcore.txt      |   14 +++++++-------
 Documentation/hooks.txt         |    4 ++--
 Documentation/tutorial.txt      |    4 ++--
 4 files changed, 12 insertions(+), 12 deletions(-)

a56c1105a491b974fe5a7102745ca477a8f8a7fd
diff --git a/Documentation/cvs-migration.txt b/Documentation/cvs-migration.txt
--- a/Documentation/cvs-migration.txt
+++ b/Documentation/cvs-migration.txt
@@ -186,7 +186,7 @@ you would use git-rev-list and git-diff-
 		nitfol();
 	}'
 
-We have already talked about the "--stdin" form of git-diff-tree
+We have already talked about the "\--stdin" form of git-diff-tree
 command that reads the list of commits and compares each commit
 with its parents.  The git-whatchanged command internally runs
 the equivalent of the above command, and can be used like this:
diff --git a/Documentation/diffcore.txt b/Documentation/diffcore.txt
--- a/Documentation/diffcore.txt
+++ b/Documentation/diffcore.txt
@@ -22,8 +22,8 @@ The git-diff-* family works by first com
 files:
 
  - git-diff-index compares contents of a "tree" object and the
-   working directory (when '--cached' flag is not used) or a
-   "tree" object and the index file (when '--cached' flag is
+   working directory (when '\--cached' flag is not used) or a
+   "tree" object and the index file (when '\--cached' flag is
    used);
 
  - git-diff-files compares contents of the index file and the
@@ -164,11 +164,11 @@ similarity score different from the defa
 number after "-M" or "-C" option (e.g. "-M8" to tell it to use
 8/10 = 80%).
 
-Note.  When the "-C" option is used with --find-copies-harder
+Note.  When the "-C" option is used with `\--find-copies-harder`
 option, git-diff-\* commands feed unmodified filepairs to
 diffcore mechanism as well as modified ones.  This lets the copy
 detector consider unmodified files as copy source candidates at
-the expense of making it slower.  Without --find-copies-harder,
+the expense of making it slower.  Without `\--find-copies-harder`,
 git-diff-\* commands can detect copies only if the file that was
 copied happened to have been modified in the same changeset.
 
@@ -220,7 +220,7 @@ diffcore-pickaxe
 
 This transformation is used to find filepairs that represent
 changes that touch a specified string, and is controlled by the
--S option and the --pickaxe-all option to the git-diff-*
+-S option and the `\--pickaxe-all` option to the git-diff-*
 commands.
 
 When diffcore-pickaxe is in use, it checks if there are
@@ -229,9 +229,9 @@ whose "result" side does not.  Such a fi
 string appeared in this changeset".  It also checks for the
 opposite case that loses the specified string.
 
-When --pickaxe-all is not in effect, diffcore-pickaxe leaves
+When `\--pickaxe-all` is not in effect, diffcore-pickaxe leaves
 only such filepairs that touches the specified string in its
-output.  When --pickaxe-all is used, diffcore-pickaxe leaves all
+output.  When `\--pickaxe-all` is used, diffcore-pickaxe leaves all
 filepairs intact if there is such a filepair, or makes the
 output empty otherwise.  The latter behaviour is designed to
 make reviewing of the changes in the context of the whole
diff --git a/Documentation/hooks.txt b/Documentation/hooks.txt
--- a/Documentation/hooks.txt
+++ b/Documentation/hooks.txt
@@ -57,7 +57,7 @@ pre-commit
 ----------
 
 This hook is invoked by `git-commit`, and can be bypassed
-with `--no-verify` option.  It takes no parameter, and is
+with `\--no-verify` option.  It takes no parameter, and is
 invoked before obtaining the proposed commit log message and
 making a commit.  Exiting with non-zero status from this script
 causes the `git-commit` to abort.
@@ -70,7 +70,7 @@ commit-msg
 ----------
 
 This hook is invoked by `git-commit`, and can be bypassed
-with `--no-verify` option.  It takes a single parameter, the
+with `\--no-verify` option.  It takes a single parameter, the
 name of the file that holds the proposed commit log message.
 Exiting with non-zero status causes the `git-commit` to
 abort.
diff --git a/Documentation/tutorial.txt b/Documentation/tutorial.txt
--- a/Documentation/tutorial.txt
+++ b/Documentation/tutorial.txt
@@ -828,7 +828,7 @@ which will very loudly warn you that you
 (which is correct, so never mind), and you can write a small merge
 message about your adventures in git-merge-land.
 
-After you're done, start up `gitk --all` to see graphically what the
+After you're done, start up `gitk \--all` to see graphically what the
 history looks like. Notice that `mybranch` still exists, and you can
 switch to it, and continue to work with it if you want to. The
 `mybranch` branch will not contain the merge, but next time you merge it
@@ -883,7 +883,7 @@ not actually do a merge. Instead, it jus
 the tree of your branch to that of the `master` branch. This is
 often called 'fast forward' merge.
 
-You can run `gitk --all` again to see how the commit ancestry
+You can run `gitk \--all` again to see how the commit ancestry
 looks like, or run `show-branch`, which tells you this.
 
 ------------------------------------------------