Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] submodule: add gitdir path config override

From: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2025 16:05:30 +0300

On Wed, 20 Aug 2025, Josh Steadmon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 2025.08.17 00:36, Adrian Ratiu wrote: 
>> This adds an ability to override gitdir paths via config files 
>> (not .gitmodules), such that any encoding scheme can be changed 
>> and JGit & co don't need to exactly match the default encoding. 
>> A new test and a helper are added. The helper will be used by 
>> further tests exercising gitdir paths & encodings. 
>> Based-on-patch-by: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]> 
>> Signed-off-by: Adrian Ratiu <[email-masked]> --- 
>>  builtin/submodule--helper.c           | 17 +++++++++++++++++ 
>>  submodule.c                           | 11 +++++++++++ 
>>  t/lib-verify-submodule-gitdir-path.sh | 15 +++++++++++++++ 
>>  t/t7400-submodule-basic.sh            | 15 +++++++++++++++ 4 
>>  files changed, 58 insertions(+) create mode 100644 
>>  t/lib-verify-submodule-gitdir-path.sh 
> 
> Sorry to keep sending piecemeal feedback. You should also 
> document the new config option in 
> `Documentation/config/submodule.adoc` 

No problem, thank you for taking the time to review & give 
feedback.

Will do in v2.