Subject: Re: [BUG?] Major performance issue with some commands on our repo's master branch

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 12:46:15 +0200

Tao Klerks <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Tao,

thanks for your response.

> All this to say: I haven't understood your branch setup, but I'm
> guessing that you're regularly integrating work from "far-behind"
> branches, and most or all of your commits on master are therefore
> merges with large diffs wrt the second parent, and those large diffs
> wrt the second parent are what's "getting worse".

That's exactly correct.

> I haven't attempted to debug this, and personally have little
> incentive to do, as switching to "git log" and accepting the process
> overheads solved *my* problem.

And I'm happy to report it solves *my* problem as well.  There's a PR
for the Magit git porcelain replacing "git show" with an equivalent "git
log" incarnation which makes the 30seconds "refresh status buffer"
operation instant.

  https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/4702
  https://github.com/magit/magit/compare/km/show-to-log

Still maybe someone might want to have a look at the "git show" issue to
double-check if the performance burden in this specific case (no diff
should be generated) is warranted.  But at least I can work again with
no coffee-break long pauses, so I'm all satisfied. :-)

Thanks a lot for your insights.

Bye,
Tassilo