Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] Drop support for git rebase --preserve-merges

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 08:58:13 +0200

On Wed, Sep 01 2021, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
> writes:
>
>> In 427c3bd28ab (rebase: deprecate --preserve-merges, 2019-03-11) (which was
>> included in v2.22.0), we officially deprecated the --preserve-merges
>> backend. Over two years later, it is time to drop that backend, and here is
>> a patch series that does just that.
>
> A good goal.  There is no remaining use case where (a fictitious and
> properly working version of) "--preserve-merges" option cannot be
> replaced by "--rebase-merges", is it?  I somehow had a feeling that
> the other Johannes (sorry if it weren't you, j6t) had cases that the
> former worked better, but perhaps I am mis-remembering things.

Fair enough. To be clear I think this series is fine as-is, we've just
usually done "now that this function is dead, rm it" as part of the
series that makes it dead, so I figured fixups/squashes to change those
parts would be welcome & integrated, likewise Alban Gruin's suggestions
in <[email-masked]>.

But the git-sh-i18n.sh change and/or his suggestions can be done after
this lands...