Subject: Re: git switch/restore, still experimental?

From: Sergey Organov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2021 22:26:50 +0300

Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> In summary, I think it should be changed to act like this:
>>     
>>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|
>>     | What | Now | New |
>>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|
>>     | Switch | git switch existing | git switch existing |
>>     | Error | git switch nonexisting | <no change (errors)> |
>>     | Switch with --merge | git switch -m branch | git switch
>>     | --merge branch |
>>     | Create | git switch -c new | git switch -n new |
>>     | Create from existing | N/A | git switch -c new [<old>] |
>>     | Move & switch to existing | N/A | git switch -m new [<old>] |
>>     |---------------------------+------------------------+---------------------------|
>
> I'm in favor of this too.
>
>> In its current state I find "git switch" to be unusable. That sounds
>> like dramatic hyperbole, but I'm serious.
>
> I concur.
>
> I've tried to use it multiple times, and I always come back to using git
> branch / git checkout.

I didn't look at these commands till recently, and what I immediately
noticed is very unclear manual pages. I didn't read entire pages, but
DESCRIPTIONS sections and some options I did check. I think that even if
these commands are to be considered stable by now, the manual pages
themselves need to be heavily revised before removing the EXPERIMENTAL
label.

It'll be worse if unclear manual is just a symptom of unclear design
though.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov