Subject: Re: [PATCH] git.el: handle default excludesfile properly

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:41:08 +0100

On Wed, Mar 07 2018, Dorab Patel jotted:

> Thanks for updating us with the status of git.el.
>
> The last time I looked at magit, it was too heavyweight for my needs.
> I like the simplicity of git.el. But perhaps it's time for me to take
> another look at magit.

You can also check out the VC mode that ships with Emacs itself. I
prefer Magit, but the VC mode is more lightweight.

> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 3:54 AM, Alexandre Julliard <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Having said that, I am sorry to say that I am not sure if the copy
>>> we have is the one to be patched, so I would appreciate if Alexandre
>>> (cc'ed) can clarify the situation.  The last change done to our copy
>>> of the script is from 2012, and I do not know if Alexandre is still
>>> taking care of it here but the script is so perfect that there was
>>> no need to update it for the past 5 years and we haven't seen an
>>> update, or the caninical copy is now being maintained elsewhere and
>>> we only have a stale copy, or what.
>>
>> This is the canonical version, and I guess in theory I'm still taking
>> care of it. However, the need that git.el was originally addressing is
>> now fulfilled by better tools. As such, I feel that it has outlived its
>> usefulness, and I'm no longer actively developing it.
>>
>> I'd recommend that anybody still using it switch to Magit, which is
>> being actively maintained, and IMO superior to git.el in all respects.
>>
>> --
>> Alexandre Julliard
>> [email-masked]