Subject: Re: git-scm.com website

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:06:53 +0100

Shawn Pearce <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Since we're talking business: git-scm.com still looks a bit like a
>> ProGit/Github promotion site. I don't have anything against either, and
>> git-scm.com provides a lot of the information that users are looking
>> for, and that are hard to find anywhere else; it's a landing page. It
>> just does not look like a "project home".
>
> Yes, git-scm.com is a place to point people.

It features "Companies & Projects Using Git" at the bottom.  Not
"supporting" but "using".

Linux is point 10 on that list.  The first 6 items are Google, facebook,
Microsoft, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Netflix.

Even for an OpenSource project that does not buy into the Free Software
philosophy, that is a mostly embarrassing list of companies to advertise
for.

Personally, I consider the recent migration of the Emacs repository to
Git a bigger endorsement but then that's me.

It might make sense to reduce this list just to "Projects" since those
are actually more tangible and verifiable.  Or scrap it altogether.

-- 
David Kastrup