Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] Mention "git blame" improvements in release notes

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 19:39:05 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> Thanks, but no thanks---I do not see it tasteful.
>>
>> Well, begging rarely is....
>> ...
>> If that's not worth anything to the Git community,...
>
> Concurred on the first point.  If you thought in any way I meant
> to say that blame improvements do not matter, then I am sorry, I did
> not mean that.
>
> But still, I am not convinced that the release notes is a good place
> to do this, and would be happier if you can think of a better venue.

"This change has been contributed by an independent developer on a
contingency base.  To make this approach work, please contact him if you
consider it worth recompensating."

This sort of text can be placed in the commit message (where it will be
mostly visible to actual other developers) and in the "What's cooking"
reports while, well, it's cooking.  It won't reach the mass of "ordinary
users", but while they are quite a large audience, they are also least
likely to care enough about isolated performance changes.  And while it
will be a limited run, "What's cooking" is also read by non-developers.

Those are the two venues I can currently think of that would seem
"scalable", at least with a text of that size.  Namely where it would
not become quite a total nuisance (though naturally less effective) if
everybody tried doing the same.

-- 
David Kastrup